Hero Banner

Key Resources and Guides

Find key resources and guides that you can accelerate implementations

Level 5 Contributor

Migrating to new CSP tenant

Is there a way to migrate CSP to a new O365 Tenant without having to move our entire Microsoft Partner Network information to the new tenant? The more we investigate how far reaching the MFA requirements and repercussions are for service accounts, guest accounts, equipment, 3rd party applications, etc., the more sense it may make to keep CSP in another tenant. I was not involved in setting up our CSP, so please excuse my ignorance. We wouldn’t want to pay for any O365 licensing in this CSP tenant. I imagine having user accounts that just have various levels of access to the CSP portal, and everything else MPN and application related (O365 Exchange, SharePoint, Teams, OneDrive, etc.) would stay in our existing tenant. We would also want to minimize the involvement/impact to our customers (It'd be best if they didn't even know about the change).  Is there a way to accomplish this?

6 REPLIES 6
Community Manager

Re: Migrating to new CSP tenant

Hi @Jinseng ,

Regarding splitting a tenant, please see below the guideline.

While Microsoft does not have concrete guidance or tools to facilitate a split of one tenant to two separate tenants, this is certainly possible.  

Recommendation would be to move the internal production use to a separate tenant. To transfer data & configuration to the new tenant Partners would need to leverage 3rd party migration tools since Microsoft does not offer solutions for migrating data between tenants 

Also, reseller relationship needs to be established again for every customer and all licenses would need to be exchanged for all customers (exchange means cancel/suspend the old licenses & provision new ones). 

Allow me to further check a few details, as proceeding to this process might cause other inconveniences.

I will get back on this thread.

Kind regards,

Andra

Influencer

We have looked into this in the past. Andra is correct in all of the areas mentioned. It would be a manual migration with new licenses required and cancelations. It would be a very extensive, time consuming, and potentially error prone process.
Level 5 Contributor

Thank you for the confirmation. There’s clearly no straightforward/simple way of doing this, so I don’t think it’ll be an option for us. We use so much of the Office 365/Azure Platform that moving our corporate tenant is a non-starter. I’d be more inclined to move our CSP business to a new tenant, but that also sounds like a major undertaking.

Visitor 1

Does anyone have experience transferring the CSP business to a new CSP Tenant?

Visitor 1

@Andra Do you have any updates on this? We too are looking to split up our tenant.

Highlighted
Community Manager

hi @jochenvangasse ,

Thanks for resurfacing this topic and apologies for the delay in my reply.

I discussed with my colleagues, below is what we know, so this more like a recap rather than an update. (:

Is there any particular blocker you are facing ?

The process is usually like this:
1. Create a new location in Partner Center MPN management
2. Create a new tenant (e.g. via Azure AD Portal)
3. Start the enrollment as Indirect or Direct Partner again, with a user from this new tenant - and then link this enrollment to the MPN org with the location ID created in step 1.
4. Invite customer to new tenant, re-provision licenses, transfer Azure subscriptions etc.
5. Open support ticket to discuss how to offboard the old tenant from CSP and/or Advisor

The issue is with step 2/3 - When Partner is using the exact same organisation name for the new enrollment/new tenant, the enrollment fails with a message that the "user is already onboarded to Partner Center" - even when trying with the completely new user from the new tenant.
The issue is actually not with the user, but with the organisation name. The trick is to make any small change in the name - e.g. append a point at the end, use an abbreviation (e.g. "Limited to "Ltd."). Note that the organisation name still needs to reflect the official/legal name of the company because of the subsequent business verification.

This issue is already known, but no ETA for a fix yet.
And of course - you should really think this through - splitting tenants is not an easy process, involves a lot of manual effort and takes time, especially when there are many customers.

Hope this helps,
Andra