HeatherSheridan
Level 4 Contributor

How to Search Members for a Specific Member

@v-crcarl How can I search the members of the community to tag a specific member in a post? 

I wanted to tag a specific person, but when I @mention [first name] so little information comes up in the suggestion list about each user, I'm unable to determine if it's the right handle.  Is there a place I can go to search the community users to find the right handle?

Perhaps in the future the @mention suggestion list could contain the user's actual name, not the handle?  

9 REPLIES 9
Andra
Community Manager

Hi @HeatherSheridan @rs_oakford ,

Thank you so much for the feedback, I will make sure this is added to the dev & design teams backlog.
This however is not a promise the improvements will be queded and implemented in the upcoming months.

A few considerations and comments from my end:

• Microsoft Partner Community is built on a Khoros platform, while Yammer is a complete distinct platform with different capabilities. While some features can be similar, the primary focus is to allow for conversations in forums regardless of location or partner type.
  • For partner-to-partner engagement and networking the prefered infrastructure is the Microsoft Partner Community, among other features it allows for single sign-on integration with your Partner Center dashboard for a seamless experience.
  • Regarding the user search functionality, after checking for alternatives with support:

Most communities, as well as other forms of social channels, rely on usernames or handles as their primary form of identification. There could be many reasons why users do not wish to divulge their real names or personal information. I have come across a few such cases.

If somebody wants to mention another user on their post, there are likely a couple of reasons for this:

1. That user is known to you outside of the community by their real name. This would indicate some personal or professional relationship in which case it would surely be easy enough to obtain their username? If you haven't seen their username  / profile on the community, how would you know that they are even registered?
  2. You are responding to a post or comment that the you've read by that user. In this situation, you will surely have seen the author's username on their original post.

There might be other use cases I haven't thought of, so please do correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm afraid there isn't a workaround for this at the moment.

Let me know if you need additional information,

Andra

HeatherSheridan
Level 4 Contributor

Hi @Andra,

Your post seems to imply that showing only my handle is a choice & I can choose to display my name.  I infer this from "There could be many reasons why users do not wish to divulge their real names or personal information."  This is a professional forum, I feel no need to hide behind a false user name.  Am I able opt into displaying my actual name?

Regarding point 1, I would first need to know if the user is on the partner community & I have no way to search that currently.  If I need to first contact the user by other means to determine if they are on MPC & what their handle is, why would I bother using the forum?  Why not just alert them via the other means?

Posters often tag their colleagues for the purpose of FYI.  But currently, there is no way to see which of my colleagues are even part of the MPC.  Is enhancing the search, by company, one of the items you count as being added to engineering's backlog?

Thanks,
Heather

Andra
Community Manager

Hi @HeatherSheridan 

Pardon my late response.

Yes the username can be changed, any user can drop me a private message with the desired name.

As for the extended search capability there are compliance and GDPR considerations, as some of the forums on the Microsoft Partner Community are public, hence username can be visible, there is a larger conversation in the back-end so yes I am adding this topic in the backlog. 🙂

Have a great day ahead,

Andra

Andra
Community Manager

Hi @HeatherSheridan ,

you can bookmark this page: Users - Microsoft Partner Community and search users by name, company name, email address, etc. 

Thanks,

Andra

HeatherSheridan
Level 4 Contributor

Hi @Andra

Thank you for the link, but that is still not very helpful for two reasons.

Issue 1:  It only seems to search within the handle.  For example, when I search for your middle name; per your profile, you were not in the list of results.  There are many handles that are not even close to the person's first or last names.  This makes it near impossible to tag people (both Microsoft & partner community) like we used to in Yammer. 

Solution: The search needs to be expanded to search the entire profile.

Issue 2:  The results only display handle names, contribution status & their number of posts.  That means the results display zero bits of information that are actually helpful when searching for a specific user to contact.  Having to click into every profile to determine the right person is overly time-consuming.

Solution:  Display the user's name & company.

If Microsoft is going to close the Yammer option, MPC needs to be brought up to the Yammer standard.  Please help Microsoft make the necessary improvements.  As is, the MPC does not seem designed for conversation and is erroneously named a community.

Thanks,

Heather

Andra
Community Manager

hi @HeatherSheridan 

I`m really glad you provided this feedback and solutions!

thank you!

Regarding issue 1, I don`t believe this is the expected behaviour, so allow me to check with support and get back to you with more information.

Regarding issue 2, assuming you know the name of the person you want to tag, using the company name would generate more results as typically there are more users from the same company. Additionally there are GDPR considerations when showing the company and name of the users.

Let me know if you need any other details,

Andra

HeatherSheridan
Level 4 Contributor

Thanks Andra for looking into this.

Regarding issue 2,

- The search also doesn't search the company name.  It literally only seems to be searching the user's handle.

- I can't claim to be anywhere near an expert on GDPR, but logicially, I can't see how displaying the user's true name in search results is problematic, since I can click on the user's handle to view their full profile, which includes the user's full name & company.

v-crcarl
Community Manager

Hi Heather - thank you for your feedback here. I'm looping in @Andra from the MPC team who is best suited to address your question, as well as future recommendations! 

rs_oakford
Level 2 Contributor

Looking forward to a reply from @Andra - I agree with @HeatherSheridan that currently it's near impossible to find other people on this community using https://www.microsoftpartnercommunity.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/user.  If I may add a few other improvement suggestions, (1) when searching posts for a given "Author" this should also allow you to search on their name or company, not just their "user name or rank":

rs_oakford_1-1624009150573.png

Also, (2) it would be great to see the contact card details on hovering over a poster or someone @mentioned in a post - this does show in Yammer:

rs_oakford_0-1624008881094.png