Karl-WE
Level 2 Contributor

contractionary conditions for Microsoft SQL Server

Dear Community I stuck on the following, imho contradictionary use rights for Microsoft SQL Server on present SQL Server terms. (here is Open License but also applies to other programs)
source: https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/terms/productoffering/SQLServer/OL

Running Instances for Standard Edition

For each Server License, software may be run in only one Physical OSE or Virtual OSE at a time, but Customer may use any number of Running Instances of the server software in that OSE.

down, on the same page

Server/CAL

Server Licenses (per Instance)

For Products under the Server/CAL License Model, customer may use one Running Instance of server software in either a Physical OSE or Virtual OSE on a Licensed Server for each License it acquires.

Who is able to clear this? The first paragraph does not mention a specific licensing method e. g. "Server / CAL" or "per Core", thus the confusion which term apply effectively. 

Thanks for reaching out!

Best regards,

Karl Wester-Ebbinghaus

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@Karl-WE Actually this "feedback & Support Discussion" group is not intended for getting help on specific question, but discussing support options and experiences itself. However, I currently don't know where to refer to for this, unless you have an assigned Partner Development Manager at Microsoft who could reach out to the licensing team. Other option for getting licensing support would be to contact the Distributor, which in turn can contact Microsoft via their own channels on the same.

That said - to the question itself: To me it applies to both since it does not mention, it does not restrict the applicability to a specific licensing model. I can reach out to the licensing team for additional clarification, but this would take a few days. Please also use the "feedback" option on the site to inform the responsible team about this inaccuracy.

Kind regards, Janosch
Receive consultations via Technical Presales and Deployment Services team

View solution in original post

JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@Karl-WE : Sorry, that took a while.

The answers is - it applies to both licensing models, specifically it expands on the rights of SQL in Server/CAL models. So the answers is , the number of SQL instances on an operating system environment is not limited.

From the licensing team:

The SQL Server/CAL terms that are under License Model apply generally to the products licensed Per Server+CAL model as a universal term.

However, for SQL Server Standard edition these terms are modified by the specific Use Rights ‘Running Instances for Standard Edition’ and for SQL Server Standard we apply this section.

Kind regards, Janosch

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@Karl-WE : Sorry, that took a while.

The answers is - it applies to both licensing models, specifically it expands on the rights of SQL in Server/CAL models. So the answers is , the number of SQL instances on an operating system environment is not limited.

From the licensing team:

The SQL Server/CAL terms that are under License Model apply generally to the products licensed Per Server+CAL model as a universal term.

However, for SQL Server Standard edition these terms are modified by the specific Use Rights ‘Running Instances for Standard Edition’ and for SQL Server Standard we apply this section.

Kind regards, Janosch
Karl-WE
Level 2 Contributor

Thank you Janosch for you reply. Happy to hear that you can try reach out to the licensing team.
In addition, I will also use the report feedback feature. I am looking forward to hear from them or eventually we can establish a connection.

JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@Karl-WE Actually this "feedback & Support Discussion" group is not intended for getting help on specific question, but discussing support options and experiences itself. However, I currently don't know where to refer to for this, unless you have an assigned Partner Development Manager at Microsoft who could reach out to the licensing team. Other option for getting licensing support would be to contact the Distributor, which in turn can contact Microsoft via their own channels on the same.

That said - to the question itself: To me it applies to both since it does not mention, it does not restrict the applicability to a specific licensing model. I can reach out to the licensing team for additional clarification, but this would take a few days. Please also use the "feedback" option on the site to inform the responsible team about this inaccuracy.

Kind regards, Janosch