Hero Banner

Feedback & Support Discussions

Provide feedback on your partner experience.

Highlighted
Level 3 Contributor

Microsoft Patch Forcing Bing Search Engine on Chrome?

Hey Partners,

Did you folks receive the email today that the next Windows patch is going to change everyone's default search engine to Bing?

Doing this is going to piss off EVERY user we manage.  Microsoft is not giving them a choice AT ALL - it forces this on them!  

It's also going to cause PILES of work for our team under managed contracts, costing the partners piles of money as well.

MICROSOFT - You CAN'T DO THIS!  You may have found a way to do it legally, but your hurting your partners AGAIN.

Here is the first part of the email - there is alot more that I have attached here as well.

"

Beginning with Version 2002 of Office 365 ProPlus, Microsoft will install a browser extension that makes Bing the default search engine for Google Chrome, providing the benefits of Microsoft Search in the browser to those end users.

• This browser extension is scheduled to be available in Monthly Channel (Targeted) in February 2020.
  • It is expected to be released to Monthly Channel in early March 2020.
  • It will be included in the upcoming releases for Semi-Channel (Targeted) and Semi-Annual Channel.

This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 59917."

2 REPLIES 2
Level 2 Contributor

Re: Microsoft Patch Forcing Bing Search Engine on Chrome?

Yup. This could have been a neat feature, and had it been opt-in I would have evaluated it and likely recommended it if the integrated 'personal' results was solid.

Now? We are already pushing the block via RMM. Which shouldn't even be required - lovely that MS thinks providing GPO/intune etc mgmt options is sufficient. What about all the users who have installed their Office Apps enttitlement on BYOD or personal devices that aren't managed? I'm leaning towards providing all those users with guidance on how to report the extension as malicious in hopes that Google will simply blacklist it - which it should, based on the fact that altering a users default search without explicit opt-in is malware behaviour. 

Level 3 Contributor

Re: Microsoft Patch Forcing Bing Search Engine on Chrome?

You really nailed it with you reply. I'm configuring my RMM today to block this patch, but I don't have my RMM deployed to every workstation in our portfolio. So only those that pay me for monitoring and management (which is inexpensive, but people still opt out) are the only ones that won't get Bing'ed with this future problem? 

Basically Microsoft will make MY programs/packages seem "broken" because "I didn't account for this". 

Who WOULD account for this? I won't even go into BYOD... Something that MS pushes us to adopt and account for, then give us no way to block things like this. No, GPOs and Intune configs are NOT good enough.

Scott, I'm down to help put together good verbiage/copy for users to report this to Google. I agree, if we can get Google to blacklist it, it would solve a PILE of problems for ALL MSPs/providers.