Hero Banner

UK Partner Zone Discussions

A dedicated area for UK Partners to connect around readiness events and content at a local level.

lawtonma
Level 6 Contributor

Important changes to partner margin for Azure reservations coming in 2023

A joke, surely?

Who in Microsoft comes up with these ideas? I they trying to completely disintermediate the partner channel?

These benefits will change so that partners will continue to receive the Azure incentive but will no longer receive margin pricing

And love the cheesy sign off - tongue in cheek surely?

Let’s do great work together.

Your Microsoft Operations Team

Am I the only one to think that we have embrace RI's with our customers to reduce price but also secure long term commitment, and now being penalised for it?

6 REPLIES 6
lawtonma
Level 6 Contributor

Honestly, as an ex Microsoft Partner Manager I find it incredibly sad that Microsoft clearly only care about scale partners, and are not really interested in the small-midmarket partners that are driving innovative solutions with customers. It is not the organisation I worked for 5 years ago. They certainly no longer have a partner survey that is acted upon - when I was there it was part of our scorecard! 

By moving more of the % to incentives it gives microsoft more control over what they want partners to sell..............

gavinnixon
Level 6 Contributor

No, don't worry, it's also the Biz Apps partners (like us) that are also in that same camp. It really is clear that when Microsoft stand up every year at Inspire and tell us all that their partners are the most important thing, it's simply not true. They are becoming like politicians!

All the recent changes are just too much to handle in such a short space of time for partners. It's clear that they want less partners and want all partners to be enterprise focussed. I just wish they'd be honest and tell us that.

SimonBeckett
Level 3 Contributor

The thing is they don't even seem to be dressing it up any more. Ever since they acknowledged they just had too many partners and wanted to get rid of some, it's been one seemingly misguided thing after another. It _has_ to be deliberate, they can't be that unaware of the effect it's having? At least the NCE stuff they took a stab at the whole "it will make your customers more sticky, allow you to forward plan, allow us to develop new tools etc." Now they're just kinda going "prices up, margin down, if you don't like it, we're really not that fussed cos there's someone else that can sell our products to your customers"

"Our partners are the most important thing to us" **

** For the next two days after which we will take everything they've told us and do whatever the latest trend requires as long as it suits our short term shareholder goals

gavinnixon
Level 6 Contributor

I couldn't agree more. The most important thing in all this is our end customers. That's who we put at the heart of everything. Now everything that Microsoft is trying to drive does not benefit the end customer at all. They just want us to sell more seats and deliver no professional services. It just doesn't work like that. End customers need their partners to become trusted advisors, not just licence sellers. The best partners are not just those that sell more licences, they are the ones that put the customer first, and operate with real integrity. It's a shame that's no longer sought after by Microsoft. As long as you're adding net new customers and selling licences, you're the best partner. It's just nonsense!

SimonBeckett
Level 3 Contributor

Quite right, we've never sold to our customers, especially in return for some sort of short term incentive. They trust us to have their best interest at heart, and working to incentive plans to increase seats, sell extra services, go for more expensive hardware or something not quite right because it's on offer, would leave us with fewer customers, and the ones who were left would just consider us no better than sharp salespeople tying them into long contracts and adding no value at all. Not about to start doing that now, so even if by some quirk we do end up meeting any of these requirements, Microsoft will this year get their way, this is the last year Dynacom, their partner for 16 years in one guise or another, will be a MS partner. I don't think they're worried and I wonder if I'm just wasting my time typing this, but it's always better to vent, without the unseemliness of depositing it on Twitter/LinkedIn etc 

SimonBeckett
Level 3 Contributor

And there was me thinking it was just the modern workplace partners that Microsoft are no longer bothered about.

I wonder if a large number of partners have decided not to go for the azure competencies and just settle for making margin, so to "encourage" them Microsoft are putting everything into the incentives?