Hero Banner

Reseller Discussions

The Cloud Solution Provider program puts the partner in the center of the customer relationship – learn more

RipplingProd
Level 1 Contributor

Transfer Office 365 subscription to my CSP account

I have been trying to transfer an existing subscription (Office 365) from one of my customers - 
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/partner-center/develop/get-customer-s-subscriptions-transfer-eligibility

It seems it does now show up as a subscription but as a license 
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/partner-center/develop/get-a-list-of-available-licenses 

How do I go about transferring these over to my CSP ?

If transferring these is not possible then what is an example of a subscription that my customer can buy which can subsequently be transferred over to my CSP?
Sample Response Attached 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@RipplingProd ::

There is no transfer option for this scenario, the API you mention is not working for those transfers (Only very specific Partner-to-Partner transfer scenarios, only for certain partner tenants, afaik only for scenarios where a Direct Partner becomes indirect and existing licenses should be transferred to a Provider).

In order to take over a customer that has bought the license directly, or from another CSP, the procedure is:

1. You establish a reseller relationship with the existing customer tenant

2. You order the same type & amount of licenses 

3. The old licenses are being suspended.

Of course you can also do 3. before 2., but then you might need to reassign licenses to the users.

And before doing 2. you, respectively the customer, should check when the existing licenses can be effectively cancelled, to avoid double-payment for a longer period of time.

Kind regards, Janosch
Receive consultations via Technical Presales and Deployment Services team

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RipplingProd
Level 1 Contributor

@JanoschUlmer  How would I go about suspending the customer's old license? Does the customer need to do this manually on their Admin center or can the CSP do this programatically for the customer?
If it is possible to do programatically can you point me to the documentation/APIs ?

JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@RipplingProd : The customer has to do this on their admin center, for some offers obtained directly from Microsoft there might not be a cancellation option in the admin portal and thus billing support would need to be contacted. 

Only an admin account sourced in the customer tenant can manage licenses obtained directly in the M365 admin portal, as partner with delegated admin this is not possible, there is also no API to do this from Partner side. If you have delegated admin, and if customer agrees, you can create a global admin account in the customer tenant and then use this to cancel licenses on behalf of the customer.

Kind regards, Janosch
JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@RipplingProd ::

There is no transfer option for this scenario, the API you mention is not working for those transfers (Only very specific Partner-to-Partner transfer scenarios, only for certain partner tenants, afaik only for scenarios where a Direct Partner becomes indirect and existing licenses should be transferred to a Provider).

In order to take over a customer that has bought the license directly, or from another CSP, the procedure is:

1. You establish a reseller relationship with the existing customer tenant

2. You order the same type & amount of licenses 

3. The old licenses are being suspended.

Of course you can also do 3. before 2., but then you might need to reassign licenses to the users.

And before doing 2. you, respectively the customer, should check when the existing licenses can be effectively cancelled, to avoid double-payment for a longer period of time.

Kind regards, Janosch
v-jillarmour
Community Manager

@JanoschUlmer can you help here by chance?