Planning to upgrade AD 2008 R2 to AD 2016
Hi Microsoft Support
I planning to upgrade AD 2008 R2 to AD 2016. The current environment information as below:
1. Active Directory Windows 2008 R2
2. Domain function level is Windows server 2003
3. Forest function level is Windows server 2003
4. Exchange 2010 SP3 RU19 running on Windows 2008 R2
I have some business application server running on windows server 2003 R2 ( No planning upgrade now).
My question is:
1. Can I upgrade the active directory to Windows server 2016 (if I do not need to up Domain function level )?
2. What any affect to Exchange server 2010 ?
3. What any concern about this upgrade?
As long as the 2003 domain controllers are gone 2003 DFL/FFL is supported.
See the support matrix here.
As to concerns; I would not do an in-place upgrade. Always much safer to clean install.
I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health correcting all errors found before starting. Then I'd stand up the new 2016, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one.