Hero Banner

Products Discussions

Share best practices and get the latest Microsoft product info

Level 1 Contributor

PCs lost connection to domain

Hi all,

since yesterday all of our pcs lost the connection to the domain. Symptioms are as follow:

One can login with the domain user name and passwort, but very shortly it comes up a dialog where you need to enter the same information to establish a network connection

Under Network Status it comes up "private network" instead of "domain network"

In System Configuration/System it shows the correct domain name

In Powershell I tried "test-connection". The test for the domain failed. The test to the server was OK.

The server (windows 2012 R2) seems OK, but had wrong stting in the IP Config. Our Gateway has 192.168.178.1 and the sever has a fixed IP 192.168.178.2 (This came from a old Smal Business Server Instrallation). These information were exchanged.

I checked "ipconfig /all" everythink looks as it should.

What else can I do?

Christine

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Level 6 Contributor

On the essentials 2012 a duplicate IP detection has occured so the server currently has an APIPA address and would not be reachable by others. Seems you'll need to find the other device that has 192.168.178.2 and re-ip or remove it.

I didn't spend any time looking at dcdiag log because of address issue. After you fix addressing and if problems continue then put up some new files.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Level 6 Contributor

When NLA starts to detect the network location, the machine will contact the domain controller via port 389. If this detection successful, it will get the domain firewall profile (allowing for correct ports) and we cannot change the network location profile.
If the domain was not found or process failed, NLA will let you to determine which firewall profile will be used, private or public.
So I'd check the domain controller and problem client have the static address of DC listed for DNS and no others such as router or public DNS
If you needed further help then you can run;
Dcdiag /v /c /d /e /s:DCName >c:\dcdiag.log
(please replace DCName with your domain controller's netbios name)
ipconfig /all > C:\dc1.txt
ipconfig /all > C:\client.txt
then put files up on OneDrive and share a link.

(I couldn't get rid of the idiotic smiley face)
/s:DCName should be like below but without the spaces
/ s : DCName

Level 1 Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for the hints. Here are the results:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!At6TMP0gZYqPgRHcb3RbBrpB2r9u

Christine

Level 6 Contributor

On the essentials 2012 a duplicate IP detection has occured so the server currently has an APIPA address and would not be reachable by others. Seems you'll need to find the other device that has 192.168.178.2 and re-ip or remove it.

I didn't spend any time looking at dcdiag log because of address issue. After you fix addressing and if problems continue then put up some new files.

View solution in original post

Level 1 Contributor

Hi,

after restart of some clients it look great. They got connection to the domain.

Thank you very much

Christine

Level 6 Contributor

Good news, you're welcome.

Level 1 Contributor

Hi,

you're right. I just found the duplicate IP-Adress some minute ago. It was a Powerline Adapter.

I restarted the dc and performed the test again. The result is uploaded. As I understand it solved a lot, it remains a lot of error (DNS also failed) .

Christine