Hero Banner

Products Discussions

Share best practices and get the latest Microsoft product info

Rick6612
Visitor 1

Need help understanding Server 2019 Standard Licensing Options

Hi,

I have a client who purchased a new server from Dell.  For some reason, Dell couldn't figure out how to include Windows Server 2019 Standard with the server.  So we are out to purchase it on our own.  I see so many different options available and cannot find a clear explanation of what the difference are.  

For example, one vendor offers "Server Standard 2019 DVD 16 Core Full OEM" for $735.  They also have "Server Standard 2019 16 Core Digital Delivery" for only $535.  Is the only difference that you get a DVD for $200 more?  Or is there more to it?

Then I see vendors on Amazon offering "Windows Server 2019 Standard OEM 16 Core" for less than $300.  How are they selling it so much cheaper?  Are they selling bootlegs, or non-US versions?  

Then I see there are "Open License" versions of "Windows Server Standard 2019," which are more expensive.  What does Open License give you that you don't get with the OEM version?

Microsoft Licensing has always seemed complicated and confusing to me and it's hard to find straight answers.

Thanks for your help!

Rick

2 REPLIES 2
r_yagmur
Level 1 Contributor

There are 3 different types of licensing server 2019

• Volume Licensing
  • Retail (FPP (Full Packaged Product))
  • OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)

Retail licenses can be transfere to any device you want, but not to more devices or virtual machines as stated in the terms of use.

OEM licenses are meant to be sold with a server and not transferable. You can buy OEM licenses from ebay or software retributors because in some countries the OEM license contradicts the local law (like germany) and it is allowed to transfer the license. I dont know if you are allowed to transfer a license from germany to usa.

Transfer. The provisions of this section do not apply if you acquired the software in Germany or in any of the countries listed on this site (aka.ms/transfer), in which case any transfer of the software to a third party, and the right to use it, must comply with applicable law.

i.       If you obtained the software from Microsoft, the first user of the software may transfer it, this agreement, and CALs directly to a third party. Before the transfer, that party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software. The transfer must include the software and the Proof of License label. The first user may not retain any instances of the software unless that user also retains another license for the software.
ii.      If you obtained the software from a manufacturer or installer, you may transfer the software only with the licensed server, all Certificate of Authenticity label(s), any additional licenses originally included with the server, and this agreement directly to a third party. Before the transfer, that party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software. You may not retain any instances of the software unless you also retain another license for the software.

Lothar
Level 1 Contributor

Hello

I think you need Server Standard 2019 DVD 16 Core Full OEM everytime as basis of licensing.

The additional 16 (4, 2) cores you can buy without DVD.

OPEN is a wide field an is not recomended for new lics, because it is replaced by CSP, but in both buying programs there are multiple benefit like lic management over online portal or possibility to get additional paid software assurance to get always new version without have to rebuy new lic every time and some more.