jimerb1
Level 3 Contributor

Action Pack and Windows 11

Now that Windows 11 is officially released, any word when the final version will be included in the Action Pack?

Seems like a core thing that should be available for lab analysis.

63 REPLIES 63
wizardofwor
Level 1 Contributor

Any further update?  It's been 5 weeks since the last response.  Thanks.

@wizardofwor : No update at this time.

Kind regards, Janosch
Receive consultations via Technical Presales and Deployment Services team
ChrisKnight
Visitor 1

I can't help but wonder that with the absence of Office 2021, Windows 11, Windows Server 2022 and M365 from the Action Pack if this is Microsoft's passive-aggressive way of implementing the IUR changes they wanted to implement back in 2019.

The only product that received any love in the second half of last year was Exchange 2019, which received CU10 and CU11. You'd have to be a bit worried if you're running ConfigMgr - that's still stuck on Current Branch 2103.

The concern here is that there's a growing backlog of products that need refreshing to consider the Action Pack as something other than being on life support.

I completely get the cost burden of O365/M365 on the Gold/Silver/Action Pack programs (solvable by providing these at cost), but the on-prem software is essentially a zero cost to MS, unless internal transfer pricing is at play.

It will be interesting to see how Action Pack will fare over the course of 2022. At this point in time I'm unlikely to renew beyond this year.

wizardofwor
Level 1 Contributor

I have to agree with you Chris, it doesn't seem like they care, as the point of Action Pack is to promote the latest software, and the list is getting old.

sbrutsch
Level 2 Contributor

Hello,

i also didn't understand why we where handled so bad with this Download Informations.

There is still no download for Windows 10 Enterprise 21H2 or Windows 11. And on the Visual Studio Download there is only the English Version available.

Remember back to the good Time, where you get something from Microsoft when you pay for it. On every other plattforms you can download it free but not on the paid portal.

Kind regards,
Stefan

TRON22
Visitor 1

I know Americans seem not to be able to answer to more than one thread in one message. It confuses Microsoft if I complain to several things in one message. But let's give a try if this time you understand that this is more than one issue. I will put numbers for you to understand it better.
1) I replied to your message Stefan and the system asked me to authenticate and again this silly "do you want to stay logged in" which I press every time but it keeps logging me out every day - and no I don't have Cookies blocked ...
2) After logging in the system asks me to define a new username, saying that my username TRON being already taken! 
3) My critic at you is that you are not testing your software the way it should be done, simple basics are not working (see point 2).
4) As paying customer I expect to be lead to the license keys I paid for after logging in to the system so what you are writing about Microsoft being for free? The Action Pack I bought is not for free!
5) I remember the old days where everyone hacked Microsoft Systems to avoid paying for something what crashed always and updates exchanged errors by other errors. If your system is not working properly and you have to release every month security patches it is obvious that the testers should not pay for it, so it is nothing about charity you are doing, your philosophy to let the world be your testing slave is simply unfair. 

JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@TRON22 : Thank you for your feedback. What makes you think I'm American?

Your post did not confuse me, I just did not see (and still don't see) the relation to anything what has been discussed here so far. The thread started with questions about download availability and in your text it was next to impossible to identify what exactly this is about. Are you talking about Partner Center and finding Action Pack benefits, about Visual Studio Portal and finding downloads in there? Login experience to Partner Community? Complaining about account verification for creating a account in this portal, or was the comment regarding "authentication maniacs" referring to security settings in your own AzureAD tenant? And because I don't want to assume things, I did ask what the question exactly is to answer respectfully to your concerns and questions. 

On 1 - Yes, even with this setting the session might expire, depending on the web site settings. This is why the message says "reduce the number of login prompts" not "remove the login prompts now and forever".

On 2 - with "system" you mean microsoftpartnercommunity.com ? Well, if the username is already taken, what do you expect should happen? It seems you have logged in with two different user accounts - one has "TRON" as user name, the other has "TRON22"

On 3 - Tested and works as expected, different user account, different user name on the forum. At least from my side the test was successful, if you see a different problem, then please explain the proper repro steps, as it should be done when identifying an error that did not came up earlier despite testing different scenarios. 

On 4 - "system" is now Partner Center or Visual Studio Subscriber portal? Both portals are used for multiple purposes, directly showing the keys when logging in would imo not be a good decision either - I can understand that different users have different needs and expectations and so there is always some compromise. I don't think it is too complicated to click on "Benefits" in Partner Center, or to click on "Downloads" in the Visual Studio Portal to get to the keys, maybe I'm expecting too much though.

And - Where did I write about Microsoft being for free? Or was this again reg. Steven's comment?

On 5 - Now, this gets a bit philosophical, don't want to go full length into this discussion since we obviously are not in agreement about this, trust that if you don't find value in the software products provided, you would not have decided to invest into getting those. However I don't know any software vendor (or active/maintained open source software projects) that is not providing regular updates, bugfixes and security updates, this does not mean their software is not working. 

Kind regards, Janosch
TRON
Visitor 1

And again Microsoft is not able to keep a structure, chaos persists with the strategy that the user is Microsoft slave to test all errors for free. Now it is topping the whole unstructured dirty try end error coding with the fact that you even don't know where to find the license keys. Instead of simply showing the licenses at the first page after login - which would be the most obvious for any kind of software - it is hidden somewhere so that I already wasted 30 minutes of my lifetime in logging in, putting silly SMS codes for idiot authentication maniacs and reading useless stuff which is just Microsoft marketing trying to manipulate to buy more stuff. How idiot you think human beings are?

JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@TRON : Is there any specific question you have?

Kind regards, Janosch
Meppyman
Level 3 Contributor

Interesting discussion. I have been a MAPS subscriber since the early days and we always got the latest versions of Office and other apps as they were launched (if not just before). Things seem to have changed in that regard which is a shame. I do less direct Microsoft work these days, but I still have clients that I advise and build out systems for that rely on the products, and when the client updates before I can it makes me question if MAPS is the right option for me anymore.

I still think it is fantastic value for money for someone like myself who is too small to be Silver but wants to keep up with the product offerings to help advise clients and build useful integrations and systems. But I really wish we could just be moved forward to MS365 licences and get access to at least the Office and other new apps when they are released.

JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@Meppyman : It does include O365E3, so you have access to the newest Office Apps. I second the wish to move to M365, I haven given this feedback already, can't tell currently if it is coming.

I can remember that there was always some delay, some times it was shorter, sometimes longer - since MAPS also does not include downgrade rights I can also remember a lot of discussions on the challenge that MAPS does in fact require Partners to update when an old version is replaced with a new one (latest when new MAPS is obtained). I guess it is always a question of balancing those needs. 

Thanks again for your feedback.

Kind regards, Janosch
Meppyman
Level 3 Contributor

Thanks Janosch (and thanks for actively engaging in this thread). It's been a lot of years since I first started using MAPS back in the SBS days, so it's possible I it included TechNet or something back then with the latest and betas. Back when we had folders of CDs! 🙂

And coincidentally my core Office apps all updated shortly after I posted my comment (I gave it a push so I think I am setup on a slower update cycle on purpose which I forgot about), so you are correct there...that isn't a huge issue after all. But that is only for the core apps. Visio is still a step behind for example.

I am happy to wait for the Windows 11 update, as the debate around the hardware that is a allowed to run 11 is going to be pretty relevant for a lot of us with mixed hardware (e.g. I have a brand new desktop, but still using an old Surface Pro 4 for the odd time I am not at my desk). And I can see that some things didn't get baked into the initial release either, so no rush there.

JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

Yeah, those were the times - Can remember multiple boxes of those Technet CDs/DVDs in the office 🙂

Well, this is where the Visual Studio Subscriptions come into play, they still offer (downloads) for most recent Windows Client/Server releases for testing and development.

Have Surface Pro 4 as well, but those had 6th/7th generation Intel Core CPUs and thus will probably never get Windows 11. Well, when Windows 10 won't be supported anymore this device will be almost 10 years old anyhow...

Kind regards, Janosch
jimerb1
Level 3 Contributor

I assume you mean the Visual Studio subscription that comes with the action pack?  Interestingly, when I navigated to that I found a portal that has a bunch of keys.  Way down there was a section for Windows 11.  Attaching a screen shot.   There's a downloads tab pictured.  (There's a busload of Windows Server 2022 licenses too.)

Clipboard Image (9).jpg

ThomasMeyer4569
Level 2 Contributor

Hey jimerb1, 

I followed the path you draw, but you must have some kind of other MAPS, since my MAPS only shows "You do not have access to product keys" on the last screen... 

Kandi-Host-Ltd
Visitor 1

You must First go to Partner Center under Visual Studio assign your User first see the screen capture to follow the steps.

KandiHostLtd_0-1636729154473.png

once your user is assigned sign in to https://my.visualstudio.com/ using your user with correct permission then you will have access to Windows 11 Licenses .

Hope this help

JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@ThomasMeyer4569 : And you have assigned the Visual Studio Subscription to your user account? 

However, there is indeed one other type of MAPS - "Microsoft Action Pack Learning" which does not include Visual Studio, see the license table here: Internal Use Rights cloud and software benefit (microsoft.com)

Kind regards, Janosch
jimerb1
Level 3 Contributor

Any word on this?  Is this going to be added to the Action Pack?

JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@jimerb1 : It is currently being evaluated, it will take some time though (weeks or months).

Kind regards, Janosch
AdamDavis
Level 2 Contributor

Hi,

That's a strange thing to say. I mean, it's not like it's a surprise to anyone ay Microsoft that these products, Windows 11, Office 21, Server 22 are going to be released. They are Microsoft products and MAPS is a Microsoft program. Of course, Microsoft can do what it likes as they own the product and program - but still it's a bizarre stance for Microsoft to take as surely Partners should get this stuff before they are released.