Hero Banner

Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)

Learn and ask questions on how to implement MFA

Visitor 1

Microsoft Authenticator App slows down as enrolled users increases

The Microsoft Authenticator app on Android gets slower the more users you add to it. The slowness affects both opening the app (during which Android offers to close the stalled app and I need to choose the "Wait" option), and enrolling a new user in MFA.

At 58 users so far, most of my new attempts to enroll in MFA with the Authenticator App fail. Is this a known issue? Are there plans to improve this performance?

Thanks,
Stuart

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Microsoft

Re: Microsoft Authenticator App slows down as enrolled users increases

I have asked internally if there is a known limit on the number of accounts that can be added. Now I received confirmation that there is not - but there were also no extensive tests done with high number of accounts. I had up to 15 accounts added at one time and did not experience any issues so far.

Still it might be true that you hit some problem in the app, or some device-specific or Android version-specific issue.

Generally, the Azure AD support team would be responsible, so you could raise a support case with them. If you can reproduce this error or find other users confirming this is an issue you can also give feedback in uservoice: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/169401-azure-active-directory