Hero Banner

Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)

Learn and ask questions on how to implement MFA

Nigel_Gibb
Visitor 1

Does an “Office 365” (E3 or E5) License entitle the user to use “Per-User MFA”?

Does an “Office 365” (E3 or E5) License entitle the user to use “Per-User MFA”?

The differences between "AAD Free", “Office 365 Apps”, “Microsoft 365 Apps” as they relate to (legally) using Per-User MFA are not 100% clear to me. (AAD P1 and P2 are clearly allowed Per-User MFA)

I logged a ticket with MS and they confirmed that "AAD Free" does not entitle the user to "Per-User MFA" only "Security Defaults".

I'm still waiting on the answer for “Office 365 Apps” and/or “Microsoft 365 Apps”

Does “Office 365 Apps” mean an O365 license?

Does “Microsoft 365 Apps” mean an M365 license?

Pricing - Active Directory | Microsoft Azure

Azure AD Multi-Factor Authentication versions and consumption plans | Microsoft Docs

1 REPLY 1
acmprentice
Level 1 Contributor

Everything I've experienced is any user licensed with a product has the per-user MFA capability.

This page is linked in the footnote 3 of the Azure AD pricing page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/authentication/concept-mfa-licensing
Note the final sentence which I bolded.

All Microsoft 365 plans

Azure AD Multi-Factor Authentication can be enabled all users using security defaults. Management of Azure AD Multi-Factor Authentication is through the Microsoft 365 portal. For an improved user experience, upgrade to Azure AD Premium P1 or P2 and use Conditional Access. For more information, see secure Microsoft 365 resources with multi-factor authentication. MFA can also be enabled on a per-user basis.