Hero Banner

Modern Workplace Discussions

Discuss best practices related to Security, Teamwork and Unified Endpoint Management (Microsoft 365).

Visitor 1

Putting Programs & Apps into folders in the Start Menu in Win10

I'm new to Win 10 & have a heaps of "apps" (some installed by me & some by my company). I would like to sort them into folders in the start menu but cannot work out how to do it? Also, (Please remember I'm used to Win 7 & only got Win 10 about a Month ago) when I sort my programs into folders in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu folder or the C:\Users\(my account)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu (in the same way as I did with Win 7), only some them seem to remain in these folders & sub folders in the actual Win 10 Start Menu... Is there some way to ensure that the folder structure I create in these folders is actually used in the Win 10 Start Menu, as my current start menu is a huge mess of apps & programs, some nicely sorted into folders, others completely separate, I can't seem to be able to just "move" them from with the Start Menu either. 

For example, see my attached screen shots...

Capture3.jpg shows what my C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\MS Office directory looks like with the main MS Office Programs (Word, Excel etc) separate from all the "extras", but in the actual Win10 Start Menu (as shown in Screenshot (1).png) the sub-directory (folder) structure hads be 'lost' & instead has all the programs & apps etc. are together in one folder?

Any Advice or Tips?

Capture3.JPG

Screenshot (1).png

1 REPLY 1
Level 6 Contributor

All Users Public is now located here which may give some insight into what you see.

\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

also check

\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

something here might also help.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/windows-10-start-layout-options-and-policies