Hero Banner

Microsoft Partner Network

Where Microsoft's CSP, MSP, SI, and ISV partners seek new opportunities and learn from each other

Visitor 1

Re: ISV Competency

Hi czhu,

May I know which link to create the support ticket regarding the ISV issue?

The page Partner Support seems like a FAQ listing and I cannot find the link to submit a ticket.

Thanks.

Level 1 Contributor

Re: What happened to the IUR benefits for ISVs?

Hello, 

I find our organization is in a very similar situation to yours. We too have been a Gold Partner for 20+ years and qualified as an ISV via tested applications and customer references and when we switched over to the new Partner Portal discovered that we unable to renew our Partner offer. It appeared at first to be a billing/invoice issue but we have since learned that it is not and we no longer qualify without any notice.

I have contact via an initial online chat session regarding the invoice but they don't seem to be able to help past that and I am desperately looking for a Partner rep or contact that can help us.

Were you able to get any answers to your questions ?

Thank you.

Blaine Huntley
GEOSLOPE International

Visitor 1

We were a Silver ISV Partner and just went through this.  I had to scramble and take 3 exams and an assessment in about a month in order to at maintain Silver, but this time it is a Data Platform competency.  And after going through that, I now find that the benefits have also changed and we don't have enough Visual Studio subscriptions for our team now.  This has been an incredibly painful experience.

Community Manager

If you click on the "My Support" drop down up top, you'll be given the options to create support tickets for product or advisory issues. For program specific issues, you can go here: https://partner.microsoft.com/en-us/pcv/servicerequests/create or speak to a Regional Service Center agent at +1 800-676-7658 (800-MPN-SOLVE)

Hope that helps!

Level 1 Contributor

Hi,

I have called into the service centre this morning ( am currently on hold again), have an open case with support for over a week, and no one can give me any answer that is more than, "go to the competency pages". I cannot understand how there is no Partner Rep available that can assist us past that for such a large program.

We have lost access to Visual Studio, our developers are not able to login now which has stopped us from being able to work. I'm not asking for anything free we want to pay our membership fee and re-qualify and need to be able to access benefits today. We just need someone that is beyond that first level of support that can elevate us to someone, anyone, that knows how we can move forward.

Regards,

Blaine

Blaine Huntley | Information Technology Director
GEOSLOPE International Ltd. | www.geoslope.com
1200, 700 6 AVE SW, Calgary, AB, Canada, T2P 0T8
Main: +1 403 269 2002 | Fax: +1 888 436 2239
Direct: +1 403 213 5335|

[cid:image009.jpg@01D4DD7B.0C459670] [cid:image010.jpg@01D4DD7B.0C459670] [cid:image011.jpg@01D4DD7B.0C459670] [cid:image012.jpg@01D4DD7B.0C459670]
Community Manager

Hi Blaine,

Thank you for reaching out to the partner community. We looked into support to get some more context behind this issue and an agent is scheduled to follow up with you in the next day about your competency details. Please let me know if you don't hear from them by Thursday. In the meantime, here are some additional resources about competency renewals that you can refer to as well.

Cathy

Level 2 Contributor

Microsoft you blew chunks on this boneheaded decision.  Totally empathize with others on this subject. This decision by the inner circle @ Microsoft is a total debacle on every level.  Those in the inner circle clearly didn't think through the implications at the field level.  Also, the programs/systems and people on the Microsoft side were not well prepared and if the systems and people on their side aren't prepared with helping partners transitions from - > to some other program and help us get fast tracked, how do they expect us partners to get through this process?  Off shore resources who do not have proper information, provide bad information, prep exam fees, exam fees, courseware fees, two weeks of non-billable time for each developer to prepare, study and travel to testing centers...to take exams???   Then your testing centers blow chunks during the exams and require us to get refunds, reschedule and retake the exams when my staff are 10 questions away from finishing!!  Where can I direct my invoices for lost developer time while we all satisfy your money making schemes for testing centers, prep materials, pre-exam materials, etc. etc.?   Seriously, pull a developer out of the field to prep for all these exams and actually take them and we are getting hit with lost revenue and increase in expenses only to satisfy your wants, not a need.  This is all freaking ridculous!  Did Microsoft think through the fact that ISV's were publishing apps on Azure Marketplace over the years prior to this boneheaded program termination decision that your partners in the field may actually be already competent in developing Azure apps?  Afterall, you are receiving and gladly taking our subscription dollars and Microsoft you APPROVED the apps before they were published in Azure Marketplace!!  We have been dealing with your program changes now for months and its because your field operations and your systems are broken, ill informed and even the content on your websites as far as exam requirements has been found to be incorrect.  On top of this, you then offer NO GRACE to your partners who are dealing with your broken system, people and processes.   

Looks like we are not alone and in good company with other partner concerns. Seriously frustrated with your "new and improved" MPN program.  

Level 2 Contributor

Here is another example of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.  Our developer goes to the exam center.  Takes the exam, 10 questions before completing the testing center systems crashes.  After an hour of attempting to recover, it is determined the testing center can't resolve the problem.  So our developer has to take the entire exam all over again from the very beginning.  Is that fair and reasonable?  Ok, next scenario.  The testing center says we will get a Voucher to cover the next round of testing.  However, when attempting to reschedule, the Offshore resource dealing with my employee tells him to simply go online and reschedule the exam, however we already paid for it and the only way to reschedule is pay for another exam.  So we have to get a credit and there is no such option as a voucher unlike the testing center claimed was the case.  Meanwhile, my developer is unbillable and we work to satisfy Microsoft's wants and we pay for it.  Is this a partnership?  A one way partnership is how we see it.  

Level 2 Contributor

Cathy, while your response is appreciated, we went that route.  Here we are now in April, we lost our Gold status, meanwhile we continue to deal with program, process and people issues at Microsoft.  Answers such as "go to this link" where you can help yourself and figure out which exams to take and pull your staff off billable projects to take exams, prep exams, buy study guides, go to testing centers, etc.   Then the links they send you are BROKEN or have BAD information on them.  Then what you are left to do, send emails or spend hours on the phone waiting for an OFFSHORE agent to take your call and REEXPLAIN everything over and over and then end up right back where you started but BEHIND the eightball in getting the competency achieved.  The entire process is a joke.  Its broke, Microsoft needs to step up and fix it and TEST it before they tell a partner the previous compentency is no longer relevant.  You see, Microsoft created a problem for everybody who had ISV competency and it also created a problem for itself - namely, you have ticked off your ISV community.  

Level 2 Contributor

Here is another example.  On October 23rd, Microsoft accepts our $500 for ISV competency application testing fee.  Obviously, some time later I come to find out ISV will no longer be a competency that can be used to acheive Gold or Silver status.  Ok, here is a reasonable request...send the $500 back.  Here we are on April 2nd, no $500 refund has been received.  Its our job apparently to chase the refund down and do so about every month to check progress.  The answer I got shortly ago: "Hi Paul

It is showing in progress. I am following up with the team and update you back.

Thanks & Regards

Application Certification Team

@MPN"

I don't blame the sender of this email, he/she is just a messenger.  My point is Microsoft's Systems, Processes and People who make up decisions about these program changes are the problem.  The people in the field are powerless to get anything done.  What happened Microsoft Leadership?  You are the problem.

Level 2 Contributor

It is frustrating for changes to occur without notice, but you may find that you qualify for the Cloud Platform competency. Note that there are multiple options - 'Hosting Option' is just Azure spend, whilst 'Azure Consumption Option' requires less Azure spend but needs exams and/or online technical assessments.

Level 2 Contributor

Have you seen the license table for competencies that earn Visual Studio licenses? Maybe you meet (or could meet) the criteria for other competencies? Each of the following earns 5 for Silver and 25 for Gold

• Application Development
  • Cloud Business Application
  • Cloud CRM
  • Cloud Platform
  • Cloud Productivity
  • Dev Ops
Visitor 1

Re: Competencies at Risk

Has anyone gotten any resolution on this issue?  We too have been a Gold Partner for over 10 years and without was just provided the notice our partnership will expire and there is no way to meet the compentencies requirements by 4-14-19.  In addition, the compenties are not really something our developers are going to benefit from...

It would have been great if MS could have provided notice well in advance for their partners to plan for this.

Our Case ID: 201904031639371361 if anyone can provide any assistance. 

Thanks.

Level 1 Contributor

Re: Competencies at Risk

Just before the turn of the century Novell Netware was king. Customers no longer mattered, they thought they would roll on like a supertanker. The new kid on the block was Microsoft - hungry and eager they were easy to contact and deal with. Lotus saw the writing on the wall and newer versions of Notes Server (before it was named after a pizza chain) no longer supported Netware.

We started to change from Netware to Server 2000 at the end of 1999.

When the first version of VS came out it wouldn't connect to a Sybase backend, but MS were helpful and still motivated. You could talk to someone, or email them, and they actually helped

During the next decade things were good for MS and developers. VS was quite robust, Server 2008R2 was reliable and updates were once a month and took no more than ten minutes.

The 950 /950XL came out and made every other phone look like it was manufactured by Fisher Price. It still is the best hardware/software combo even now! We talked our customers into buying hundreds of them. MMMmmmm

Fast forward to today. Windows phone, the best thing MS have ever produced, they decide to scrap. Server 2016 and 2019 are buggy, take forever to install updates that now appear twice a month, and regularly cause boot failures and BSOD. I think there were four updates that needed a reboot for Win 10 this month to date!!

Now when I go to renew at the new partner site I get 'As of 14-Feb-2019 ISV competency is no longer available for enrollment or renewal.' - Wonderful. No notice.

Partner is described as 'either of a pair of people engaged together in the same activity.' Clearly MS has a different definition.

Visitor 1

ISV Competency - what on earth are Microsoft playing at?

Just logged into the partner website to disover the ISV competency is gone and we now have all our developers sit exams to requalify.  I've searched my email and I received absolutely no communication from Microsoft that this was happening!  None of the new competencies are particularily relevant for what we do which is still developing & selling desktop applications in a closed enironment where the cloud and Azure is neither allowed or relevant.  

Our developers are now locked out of Visual Studio despite the partner portal claiming we are in a renewal grace period and the licenses are valid until 15th June.  

Microsoft you really know how to piss people off sometimes!

Community Manager

Re: ISV Competency - what on earth are Microsoft playing at?

I'm so sorry to hear this and totally understand the frustration. Have you gone to Partner Support to speak to an agent about this? https://partner.microsoft.com/en-us/support

If you click on the "My Support" drop down up top, you'll be given the options to create support tickets for product or advisory issues. For program specific issues, you can go here: https://partner.microsoft.com/en-us/pcv/servicerequests/create or speak to a Regional Service Center agent at +1 800-676-7658 (800-MPN-SOLVE)

Visitor 1

And another sufferer of this foolish decision.

We are about to lose our partnership status and associated benefits unless we can get sufficeint staff certified in the next week.  We've ben using the ISV route for years and have had no notice.

As others have found the partner support line is a joke I'm afraid - the woman I spoke to yesterday said she had only been recently notified of the change - had no useful information other that to email me a link on the partner website that I told her I had already been looking at (thats once she could actually get her internet working at all).

The phone line quality was also almost inaudible.  Both ends struggled.

If MS are introducing a new ISV scheme in 2020 why don't they let all the existing one requalify under the existing scheme until the new system comes into place.

At the moment I have an MD who wants to remove Microsoft from everything we do as a result of this.  Given the drive from much of our customer base towards open source software this couldn't have been a more poorly timed decision from Microsoft.  

xss
Visitor 1

“>”@x.y

xss
Visitor 1

I’m facing the same issue. Opened a support ticket, but not even a reply is received.
Is it true that a new ISV category is replacing the current one in 2020?
Level 2 Contributor

We are Silver Partner and startup, lossing the beniefits this year. 

What are the support people doing (extending expirty of your VS subscriptions, product license )? Just want to know if it is worth calling them.

Level 4 Contributor

I got an email from Microsoft Partner Center back in February.

Hello,

Starting 15-Feb-2019, you’ll no longer be able to enroll in or renew the ISV competency. If your organization currently has the ISV competency, it will remain active with no change to benefits until your anniversary date + 30 days.

I would check to see who's getting the emails and whether they did recieve one. Would be interested to know if there is a replacement and when its released.

Community Manager

Hi @JASA1976 ,

ISV is under review. For now there is no update on timing for any new ISV programs as per this notification.  

Partners with the ISV gold or silver competency who reach their anniversary date + 30 days, no longer have the renew option available.

You can however choose another competency to work on towards attainment. Please sign in the ISV Resource Hub to get more details.

Hope the added hyperlinks help,

Andra

Community Manager

A new blog post by Toby Richards published on the partner news center on Wednesday, May 29 talks about the investments we are making in our partner business and changes that are coming in FY20 to programs and offers in the Microsoft Partner Network. 

As Microsoft is in an ongoing journey towards the Digital transformation, this also leaves space for innovation in the Partner experience and Programs optimizations areas.

Most likely you are already aware there are changes within the Competencies program and you have been notified by Microsoft via email or within the Dashboard in Partner Center:PC.png

What does this mean?

To deliver the right benefits to help ISVs build, market, and sell their innovative apps, Microsoft is taking a different approach from competencies, which are oriented toward services partners.

There won’t be an ISV competency, but there will be offers that help ISVs accelerate application development and delivery and increase customer reach. These offers will exist alongside the services-oriented competencies, with benefits that align to the needs of ISVs. 

Microsoft is planning to release the ISV offers in Q2 of 2020 fiscal year that starts July 2019. An offer for ISVs that build line-of-business business applications using Dynamics 365 and Power Platform was announced in April, and more information is on the Microsoft partner website.

Any updates on ISV will be available under this link and If you are planning to join us at Microsoft Inspire (July 14–18 in Las Vegas, NV, USA), you can learn more during breakout sessions and in the Microsoft Partner Network booth in The Hub.

Notes:

• Partners with the ISV gold or silver competency who reach their anniversary date + 30 days, no longer have the renew option available.
  • You can however choose another competencyto work on towards attainment.
  • Please sign in the ISV Resource Hub to get more details.
  • More ISV resources are available until new offer requirement are released in our downloadable guide.

Please also follow @MSPartner social channels on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn for latest news.

Highlighted
Visitor 1

I'm in the same boat as many others here.

A MS rep told me last month I could renew our org but had to wait until we hit a certain date - I've since learnt that was the date our ISV competency expired.  I had asked him about the ISV competency and he didn't see any problem with us renewing.

Of course I now see his "not seeing any problem" was actually implicitly saying that we couldn't be an ISV anymore and had to get 2x developers to sit an exam.  That's now got to be finished before July 1st for us - 3 weeks away!

We've got a LOT to do with our customers in the next three weeks since it's end of financial year here in Australia.

We've been a partner for many years - close to a decade I suspect.

I don't mind paying the fees.  I don't even mind having the exam requirement.  But when I ask specifically and am told my only barrier is to wait until a certain date before we pay (we used to just pay early to avoid fogetting) I'm certainly annoyed at the sudden surprise and immense business risk I've now got to handle. 

I'm confident our devs will pass the exam without issue - it's a matter of time.

I also have the problem that the exam booking website is currently experiencing an error.  Not a great first experience with what appears to be a gate through which I must pass.  I'm really hoping it's a transient error - I've tried private browser windows and using both MS accounts and Azure AD accounts.  Login loops or just an error saying the site is probably down at the moment are all I can get.

Someone in Microsoft Australia is at least seeing if we can get the grace period extended so we can pay now and do the exams later in July or something.  It didn't seem to matter that I said I'd asked and been told wrong information by a Microsoft partner rep - that's disappointing Smiley Sad

I'll try to remember to come back here and update things in a couple of days when I hear back.

I also note that the updated internal use rights are different from what we had previously...  I haven't explored that enough yet to see what grief we'll hit on that front.  I didn't expect business risk from Microsoft of all companies.

Visitor 1

It appears that MS are now going to remove all internal use rights unless I misunderstood the reports. a great thank you for all the support partners give to MS