Auto Attendants & Calling Queues in Microsoft Teams aka Skype for Business
It took 24 hours of suffering + stress but I finally learned the following:
If you sell or support phone services that utilize Microsoft Teams aka Skype for Business, note that Microsoft implemented a major change on or around July 3, 2019. The change involves Resource Accounts.
Basically, to assign a Service Number to a new Auto Attendant or new Calling Queue, you need to do the following:
- Via Microsoft Teams, create the new Auto Attendant or new Calling Queue
- Via Microsoft Teams, create a new Resource Account under Org-wide settings
- Purchase a free Phone System – Virtual User license from Microsoft 365
- Assign the purchased license to the Resource Account
- Assign the Resource Account to the new Auto Attendant or new Calling Queue
- Use PowerShell to assign a previously requisitioned Service Number to the Resource Account
Interesting Side Note: Google Phone System – Virtual User & then search for it on Microsoft's web site .