Hero Banner

Microsoft AppSource and Azure Marketplace

Learn how to grow your business by publishing your cloud solution on Microsoft AppSource and Azure Marketplace

Highlighted
Level 1 Contributor

Marketplace Solution Template using Deployment Manager?

Hi All,

I'm working on a solution template marketplace offering that involves deploying multiple VMs, some of which have dependencies on others. The VM images use cloud-init to do some setup after they are deployed, and I need to wait until cloud-init is finished before deploying the other VMs.

Unfortunately a simple "dependsOn" in the ARM template isn't sufficient here, since the VM resources are considered "Created" well before cloud-init finishes. Deployment Manager health checks would work https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-resource-manager/deployment-manager-overview but as far as I can tell the only way to pass parameters to service units is by URI, so I can't actually pass in the template parameters specified by the end-user.

Looking for any suggestions on how to do this correctly, thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Level 1 Contributor

Re: Marketplace Solution Template using Deployment Manager?

In AWS CloudFormation templates I use a WaitConditionHandle to accomplish the same thing, but I haven't been able to find a comparable resource in Azure.