respolaor
Level 2 Contributor

CSP Windows Server Datacenter Perpetual license to Standard Key

We bought a Perpetual license for a customer via CSP. We have 3 servers (16 core each) with VMWare and many virtual machines on it, so we bought 3x Windows Server Datacenter 16 Core license. 

In 365 portal, we can downgrade the license to Windows Server 2016 and get the key but only for Windows Server Datacenter. 

As this new kind of license doesn't have the option of KMS activation, we need to get the Standard key to activate our VMware machines that have Windows Server 2016 Standard version that we can't be upgraded to Datacenter.  

How can I get the key from Windows Server Standard in 365 portal? How is the procedure in cases like that? In VLSC we could receive the key for Datacenter and Standard but I cant find on 365 portal. 

9 REPLIES 9
JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@respolaor : Microsoft does not provide any keys for the standard edition. While customers have the right to run any prior version and lower edition as per the product terms, there is no obligation on license key fulfillment.

Options:

• If customer already has KMS server running in their environment from other licenses they have obtained earlier, they can use the same KMS server for activating those CSP licenses - CSP perpetual does support KMS, it is "just" that there are no KMS host keys provided currently.
  • You can contact Partner Center support to ask for KMS keys or keys for standard . At least you increase awareness that there is a need for this.
  • You can work to remove blockers to upgrade Standard to Datacenter - usually this should not be a big problem since it is the same codebase.
Kind regards, Janosch
Receive consultations via Technical Presales and Deployment Services team
respolaor
Level 2 Contributor

Hi Janosch! First of all, thank you very much for the answer, you helped me a lot!
I understood what you told me and I will follow this way, with the host KMS and old KMS key.
Now, this brings me doubt regarding our procedures. I have an environment with corporate templates and pre-installed software, which we replicate in several clients. These Windows Server Templates are not licensed, the end customer is responsible for acquiring the Microsoft license for the server. When the license is on our package, we were used to buying ourselves volume licenses, but it looks like this option will no longer be sold. What is the correct procedure in this case? Which license best suits our process?

JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@respolaor : You can still get Windows Server also via Open Value and Open Value Subscription, so as Volume license - KMS keys are provided for those. Or use CSP perpetual or CSP Software Subscription with MAK keys

Kind regards, Janosch
Uwe_GER
Visitor 1

Hello community, 
@JanoschUlmer regarding to this point with CSP and Windows Server 2019 oder 2022; how is it possible to manage this with provisioned machines (Citrix) without a kms key?
We have a bunch of Citrix DaaS Environments, so we need to get a solution since Migration from VLSC to CSP.
What is the process you would provide?
Thanks for your response.
Kind regards,
Uwe

JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@Uwe_GER Afaik Citrix does only support usage of KMS activation in those scenarios, so staying with Open (Value/Subscription) would be the better choice. But you can reach out to Partner Center support and ask if they an alternative solution reg. KMS keys, it would be good if Partners raise this request with support to get more awareness on the missing key types. 

Kind regards, Janosch
ChrisK
Level 1 Contributor

Hello @JanoschUlmer, KMS keys are published by Microsoft through Key Management Services (KMS) client activation and product keys for Windows Server and Windows | Microsoft Learn. So purchasing Windows Server through CSP Perpetual or Subscription and using these Microsoft publicly provided KMS keys is a supported scenario for Citrix XenApp environments?

Kind regards,

Chris Ketting

JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@ChrisK The KMS Keys you refer to are the CVLKs entered in the client/server that needs to be activated against a KMS host, but you need an activated KMS host for this to work. And the key to activate the KMS host is what is not provided in CSP. 

Kind regards, Janosch
ChrisK
Level 1 Contributor

Thanks, we have some customers with activated KMS hosts so we'll test this scenario 👍

v-jillarmour
Community Manager

tracking