Windows Server Backup - technical questions
1) Once I have created a Windows Server backup to a dedicated disk is there any way to change what is being backed up without having to reformat the disk? So for instance let's say I scheduled a backup of VM1 and VM2. I then created another VM - VM3 - and I want to add it to the backup. Can I do that without starting from scratch? Any powershell/CLI/VB script to do this?
2) Along the same lines what happens if one of the backup sources gets deleted or renamed - so let's say I had a D drive I was backing up but for some reason it was deleted or renamed to E. Would the backup just skip the missing/renamed item or would it just stop completely?
3) When I schedule a backup with the GUI a lot of parameters are specified - time of backup, type, target, what to backup, etc. This has to be stored in a file somewhere so it can be used again next time. Where is this file? What is its name? What format is it in?
4) If I partition a USB disk into two separate partitions - can I then have two separate dedicated disks for backup? So I create a C and a D partition on a USB . Can I designate the C and D as separate dedicated drives and then have different scripts that would backup different source data to each paritition?
5) Is it possible with Wbadmin/Powershell to backup VM's based on a list in a file? So for instance I create a list that has all the data sources I want backed up and the script finds the file and uses it to choose what to backup? I change the list and the backup changes to match.
6) Is it possible to somehow set the order of a backup? Le'ts say I have three VM's - VM1, VM2 and VM3. When I run the backup I want it to first backup VM2 and then VM3 and then VM1. If doable how would I do that?
7) When WSB runs does it create temp files. Can I change location? If so what would be the ideal location?
😎 Finally, is there a deep dive technical document on Windows Server Backup - probably the most used backup in the world? I have never found anything resembling that. I have seen a lot of how to use it type material but everything that goes behind the scenes I have had to dig deep for. So I have had to search each item individually. For example I wanted to know more about the catalog. There was no specific document that I could find technical info about it - I ended up finding an article that included some info about the catalog buried within it. Is there no definitive document on the workings - front and back and inside - of Windows Server Backup? Again it's probably the most used backup software in the world - it surely deserves a couple of dozen pages of technical info - and I don't mean screen shots. I am not expecting source code - just some good behind the scenes detail.
Thanks in advance for your attention to this.
Please note that I am posting the above as I don't know where else to post. So if you could direct me to where this kind of question should be posted - partner tech support forum, etc. - I would appreciate it. There used to be a forum -https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=windowsbackup- but it's gone now and I can't seem to find any other place to post this question. Is there a Partner's Tech Support forum?
Usually the Tech Community is a good place to start: Windows Server Community (microsoft.com)
If you are Partner on Silver or Gold level you could also ask for technical advice in the Technical PreSales & Deployment Services team: https://aka.ms/technicalservices
Then, while Windows Server Backup might be used often, it is only meant to be a basic backup solution - and there is not such a detailed documentation available to my knowledge. Also - with the general move to Azure Backup (with Azure Backup Agent - MABS as the equivalent), you likely won't see much of new development here and thus there is not much effort for expanding the documentation (which was not worked on since Server 2012 from what I can tell).