chantalvanschie
Level 3 Contributor

The Microsoft Cloud Partner Program isn't suitable for developers of multi-tenant Cloud solutions

Hello!

We are a small ISV who has been a Microsoft Gold Partner (Application Development) for quiet a number of years. Looking at the new The Microsoft solutions the Digital & App Innovation (Azure) is the best match for us and requires us to earn a minimum of 70 points.

We develop and host multi-tenant software, which means we use an Azure single tenant for multiple customers. We do not use multiple Azure tenants. This means we cannot obtain points for "customer adds" nor can we obtain points for "deployments", and thus the required 70 qualifying points is out of reach for us.  

I have studied the answer to a topic similar to our situation (73093). In this answer it states the following: 
"If you provide shared services in your tenants, there is no ACR in an end customer tenant and so it does not count.....Microsoft is aware about this situation, and at Inspire we have now announced the ISV Success Program and other plans to improve this situation for ISVs that will have challenges to fulfill the requirements of the Cloud Partner Program now."

I have studied the ISV Success program and I have requested to join the Preview, upon which I received the following answer: "After an initial review of your submission, we see that you answered no, I do not intend to publish my finished application in the Microsoft commercial marketplace. As this is a key eligibility requirement, we will be unable to accept you into the program at this time." 

Our software, in my opinion, is not suitable to be published in the marketplace, considering it is not intended to be downloaded and deployed on multiple Azure tenants. Additionally the ISV Success program only offers a fraction of the benefits we used to have (25 licenses iso 100 licenses), which is not enough to suit our needs. It seems that this program is also not suitable for our type of software application (multi-tenant application deployed on a single Azure tenant). 

My question now is where does that leave us? What are our options? What should be our next steps in order to find a suitable solution for our type of business/software application? 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@chantalvanschie : it sound publishing a SaaS offer in marketplace is the right option, here the solution is not deployed to the Customer Azure tenant, but you just allow them to integrate authentication to your backend services you host via their AzureAD. 

You can raise a consultation request in my team (see signature) to get more info on what kind of marketplace offers would be fitting for you. 

Kind regards, Janosch
Receive consultations via Technical Presales and Deployment Services team

View solution in original post

chantalvanschie
Level 3 Contributor

Hi Janosch, 

Thankyou for your response. Concerning which marketplace offers would be fitting for us, I have raised a consultation as you proposed (Case #: CAS-795405-M0X3B9). 

I still have the following questions:

1. Could you give me more information about what you mean by "you just allow them to integrate authentication to your backend services you host via their AzureAD."?
  2. Is there any possiblity that Microsoft will change the number of benefits? The ISV program is currently good for only 25 licenses. Our current Gold Partnership gives us 100 licenses. 
  3. It is unclear for me what competenties are required to become part of the ISV. Do you have more information on this? 

JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@chantalvanschie 

On 1, see Azure Active Directory and transactable SaaS offers in the commercial marketplace | Microsoft Docs, but this could also be a topic where one of my colleagues can advise in more detail.

On 2 - possible, but I can't give an authoritative answer on that. Note that you can still obtain the legacy Gold benefits at next renewal again.

On 3 - I don't think there are competencies required to join the ISV Success program

Kind regards, Janosch

5 REPLIES 5
2-0-2-5
Level 2 Contributor

I agree with your analysis. After being a partner for 15 years the new Partner Solutions are pushing us out of the program. They are simply not conducive to Partners that sell a multi tenant app hosted in Azure. I see no way to meet the requirements. Even the suggested solution below is a non starter as a transactable SaaS marketplace offering requires that "We bill the customer on your behalf for all transactable offers" and that is simply not possible. This means we would choose the "No" option in which case I fail to see how that helps us score the points needed to meet the program requirements.
What am I missing?

JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

SaaS offers can be published as transactable, but this is not the only option, see Plan a SaaS offer for the Microsoft commercial marketplace | Microsoft Docs. You can choose to publish offers in multiple ways.

However, transactable or not, the Solution Designation in Cloud Partner Program this is of no help, only for ISV Success Program it may be applicable. 

Kind regards, Janosch
JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@chantalvanschie 

On 1, see Azure Active Directory and transactable SaaS offers in the commercial marketplace | Microsoft Docs, but this could also be a topic where one of my colleagues can advise in more detail.

On 2 - possible, but I can't give an authoritative answer on that. Note that you can still obtain the legacy Gold benefits at next renewal again.

On 3 - I don't think there are competencies required to join the ISV Success program

Kind regards, Janosch
chantalvanschie
Level 3 Contributor

Hi Janosch, 

Thankyou for your response. Concerning which marketplace offers would be fitting for us, I have raised a consultation as you proposed (Case #: CAS-795405-M0X3B9). 

I still have the following questions:

1. Could you give me more information about what you mean by "you just allow them to integrate authentication to your backend services you host via their AzureAD."?
  2. Is there any possiblity that Microsoft will change the number of benefits? The ISV program is currently good for only 25 licenses. Our current Gold Partnership gives us 100 licenses. 
  3. It is unclear for me what competenties are required to become part of the ISV. Do you have more information on this? 
JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@chantalvanschie : it sound publishing a SaaS offer in marketplace is the right option, here the solution is not deployed to the Customer Azure tenant, but you just allow them to integrate authentication to your backend services you host via their AzureAD. 

You can raise a consultation request in my team (see signature) to get more info on what kind of marketplace offers would be fitting for you. 

Kind regards, Janosch