elimoio
Level 1 Contributor

Office licensing on a terminal server on Azure

I have a customer with a VM Windows 10 multisession managed by AVD with an application installed that needs Excel to create report.

The users don't need to open excel or other Office applications, in fact users only open the remote app.

As far as i know i can't install Office Pro Plus per device because in open programs there isn't the Azure eligibility (not customer servers....) but i need to license every users that connect to the "RDS server".

The same would apply on a classic Windows Server RDS server.

For a single application i can't suggest the customer to buy for every users a license with SCA, is there another option? Otherwise i will suggest to find a way to license this scenario.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@elimoio : There is no other solution from a licensing perspective. Only (theoretical) alternative solution would be to talk to the vendor of the application if they are thinking about integrating this functionality differently and not rely on Excel application code. You could see it this way - the application vendor saved some effort on their side to develop this reporting functionality by leveraging Excel, which obviously lowered the price of their app. When the app vendor builds this functionality natively into their application, the question is if the expected price increase would be lower than the Excel/Office Apps license with SCA.

Also consider that that it might be an option to use a different license for licensing the AVD access - maybe switching from e.g. Windows 10/11 E3 to license Windows 10 Multisession access to e.g. M365Business Premium which includes the Win10AVD use right and Office Apps with SCA (and more) might be worth evaluating.

Kind regards, Janosch
Receive consultations via Technical Presales and Deployment Services team

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
elimoio
Level 1 Contributor

I will discuss with the customer if the vendor can add this functionality in its software.

Anyway, some scenarios would benefit from the Office Pro Plus onprem licensing mode (maybe limited only on Windows server).

Regarding the M365 Business premium license we are using these licenses for different "power" users but there are many other users that have only the need to run that application, unfortunately.

Thank you for your confirmation

Kind regards

JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@elimoio : There is no other solution from a licensing perspective. Only (theoretical) alternative solution would be to talk to the vendor of the application if they are thinking about integrating this functionality differently and not rely on Excel application code. You could see it this way - the application vendor saved some effort on their side to develop this reporting functionality by leveraging Excel, which obviously lowered the price of their app. When the app vendor builds this functionality natively into their application, the question is if the expected price increase would be lower than the Excel/Office Apps license with SCA.

Also consider that that it might be an option to use a different license for licensing the AVD access - maybe switching from e.g. Windows 10/11 E3 to license Windows 10 Multisession access to e.g. M365Business Premium which includes the Win10AVD use right and Office Apps with SCA (and more) might be worth evaluating.

Kind regards, Janosch
Receive consultations via Technical Presales and Deployment Services team

View solution in original post