Hero Banner

Feedback & Support Discussions

Provide feedback on your partner experience.

Level 1 Contributor

Licensing Model for Windows Server 2019 Standard

hello folks, this is likely a stupid question, but...

I've always only done Windows Server Essentials, but one of my customers has outgrown this and needs Server Standard edition.

I need to know how to license this server correctly.  The server (new server) is a dual processor Xeon with 10 cores each.  There are 25 user accounts, this will likely grow a little more, but should stay under 30.  Where do I go to understand how to license this within my partner association?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Microsoft

@jetcosys You should contact a licensing distributor to get guidance on what license type to use best for this customer.

Reg. the licensing channel the customer has the choice between Retail, System Builder, Open License/Open Value/Open Value Subscription, and also Software Subscriptions/Perpetual licenses in CSP. What program is the best depends on if the customer wants to have software assurance benefits (E.g. for new version rights, failover instances), what payment model fits best (Annual fee with Open Value/Open Value Subscription, one-time-payments with the other licensing programs) and what license type the customer prefers (subscription or perpetual license). If you serve the customer already via CSP, using CSP Software Subscriptions or CSP perpetual might be a good choice since the customer does not need to sign yet another licensing agreement.

When it comes to the specific  licensing rules for Windows Server, take a look at the Product terms where, regardless of the licensing program, the detailed rules are documented. Windows Server is licensed under the "per core/CAL" model, here some excerpt from the terms:

Server Licenses (per core)

1. Customer may use the server software on a Licensed Server, provided it acquires sufficient Server licenses as described below.
  2. The number of Licenses required equals the number of Physical Cores on the Licensed Server, subject to a minimum of 8 Licenses per Physical Processor and a minimum of 16 Licenses per Server.
  3. Datacenter edition permits use of the server software in any number of OSEs on the Licensed Server.
  4. Standard edition:
    • Standard edition permits use of the server software in two OSEs on the Licensed Server.
    • Standard edition permits use of one Running Instance of the server software in the Physical OSE on the Licensed Server (in addition to two Virtual OSEs), if the Physical OSE is used solely to host and manage the Virtual OSEs.
    • Customer may assign additional Standard edition Licenses to the Licensed Server equal to the number specified in 2 above and use the server software in two additional OSEs on the Licensed Server.

So, customer likely will need to get 10 2-core license packages to license all 20 physical cores of the server (For CSP Software Subscription 3x 8-core packages, since this SKU only comes in 8-core units).

For the CALs for access you need to count the number of persons accessing the server (which is not necessarily the same number as number of user accounts), or you count the number of devices used by users for accessing the server - this determines the number of CALs the customer needs to obtain and assign to users or devices.

Again, the licensing distributor should be abel to advise you further on what licensing program makes most sense for this customer.

Kind regards,
Janosch
Get consultations form Technical Presales & Deployment services team via https://aka.ms/technicalservices

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Level 1 Contributor

Thanks VERY much for the information.  Can you point me to training on all of the various licensing models so I understand how to explain to my end user?  I will work with my distributor on the sku for this customer.  Again, THANK You; sorry for the obvious questions.  

-Joe

Microsoft

@jetcosys You should contact a licensing distributor to get guidance on what license type to use best for this customer.

Reg. the licensing channel the customer has the choice between Retail, System Builder, Open License/Open Value/Open Value Subscription, and also Software Subscriptions/Perpetual licenses in CSP. What program is the best depends on if the customer wants to have software assurance benefits (E.g. for new version rights, failover instances), what payment model fits best (Annual fee with Open Value/Open Value Subscription, one-time-payments with the other licensing programs) and what license type the customer prefers (subscription or perpetual license). If you serve the customer already via CSP, using CSP Software Subscriptions or CSP perpetual might be a good choice since the customer does not need to sign yet another licensing agreement.

When it comes to the specific  licensing rules for Windows Server, take a look at the Product terms where, regardless of the licensing program, the detailed rules are documented. Windows Server is licensed under the "per core/CAL" model, here some excerpt from the terms:

Server Licenses (per core)

1. Customer may use the server software on a Licensed Server, provided it acquires sufficient Server licenses as described below.
  2. The number of Licenses required equals the number of Physical Cores on the Licensed Server, subject to a minimum of 8 Licenses per Physical Processor and a minimum of 16 Licenses per Server.
  3. Datacenter edition permits use of the server software in any number of OSEs on the Licensed Server.
  4. Standard edition:
    • Standard edition permits use of the server software in two OSEs on the Licensed Server.
    • Standard edition permits use of one Running Instance of the server software in the Physical OSE on the Licensed Server (in addition to two Virtual OSEs), if the Physical OSE is used solely to host and manage the Virtual OSEs.
    • Customer may assign additional Standard edition Licenses to the Licensed Server equal to the number specified in 2 above and use the server software in two additional OSEs on the Licensed Server.

So, customer likely will need to get 10 2-core license packages to license all 20 physical cores of the server (For CSP Software Subscription 3x 8-core packages, since this SKU only comes in 8-core units).

For the CALs for access you need to count the number of persons accessing the server (which is not necessarily the same number as number of user accounts), or you count the number of devices used by users for accessing the server - this determines the number of CALs the customer needs to obtain and assign to users or devices.

Again, the licensing distributor should be abel to advise you further on what licensing program makes most sense for this customer.

Kind regards,
Janosch
Get consultations form Technical Presales & Deployment services team via https://aka.ms/technicalservices

View solution in original post