boogs
Level 1 Contributor

CSP Perpetual licenses transferrable to another server within same company?

Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to Microsoft licensing and I wanted to ask if say a Windows Server 16-core pack license is transferable between servers under the same company?

Scenario:

• Assigned the license to an old Dell physical host/server that is being decommissioned and client is wanting to transfer the license to new HP physical host/server
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@boogs : The rules for license reassignment for CSP perpetual licenses are the same as for for all other licensing programs.

You can check the specific terms here:

Commercial Licensing Terms (microsoft.com)

While I did select Microsoft Customer Agreement (=CSP) as agreement type, the universal terms for software are the same for any agreement type:

License Assignment and Reassignment

Before Customer uses software under a License, it must assign that License to a device or user, as appropriate. Customer may reassign a License to another device or user, but not less than 90 days since the last reassignment of that same License, unless the reassignment is due to (i) permanent hardware failure or loss, (ii) termination of the user’s employment or contract or (iii) temporary reallocation of CALs, Client Management Licenses and user or device SLs to cover a user’s absence or the unavailability of a device that is out of service. Customer must remove the software or block access from the former device or to the former user. SA coverage and any Licenses that are granted or acquired in connection with SA coverage may be reassigned only with the underlying qualifying License. Additional terms apply to the reassignment of Windows desktop operating system per device licenses, as detailed in the Windows Product Entry

Kind regards, Janosch
Receive consultations via Technical Presales and Deployment Services team

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Level 1 Contributor
Level 1 Contributor

JanoschUlmer
Microsoft

@boogs : The rules for license reassignment for CSP perpetual licenses are the same as for for all other licensing programs.

You can check the specific terms here:

Commercial Licensing Terms (microsoft.com)

While I did select Microsoft Customer Agreement (=CSP) as agreement type, the universal terms for software are the same for any agreement type:

License Assignment and Reassignment

Before Customer uses software under a License, it must assign that License to a device or user, as appropriate. Customer may reassign a License to another device or user, but not less than 90 days since the last reassignment of that same License, unless the reassignment is due to (i) permanent hardware failure or loss, (ii) termination of the user’s employment or contract or (iii) temporary reallocation of CALs, Client Management Licenses and user or device SLs to cover a user’s absence or the unavailability of a device that is out of service. Customer must remove the software or block access from the former device or to the former user. SA coverage and any Licenses that are granted or acquired in connection with SA coverage may be reassigned only with the underlying qualifying License. Additional terms apply to the reassignment of Windows desktop operating system per device licenses, as detailed in the Windows Product Entry

Kind regards, Janosch
Receive consultations via Technical Presales and Deployment Services team

View solution in original post

boogs
Level 1 Contributor

Thanks Janosch! That information helped a lot.