Hero Banner

Feedback & Support Discussions

Provide feedback on your partner experience.

Level 2 Contributor

Becoming an official partner question: gain client before partnership? Chicken before the egg?

A rather entry-level question from a marketer researching how we can become Power BI partners: 
It seems that to become Power BI listed in the directory a Partner needs to have a client (or case study nomination) - the question is how can a said prospective Partner sell licences without being an official partner? 

https://partners.microsoftcloud.com/

It seems quite literally chicken-before-the-egg, to sell the product before being accredited to sell it.
Or am I misunderstanding the core process? In which case, can someone please point me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance for advice.
David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Influencer

Re: Becoming an official partner question: gain client before partnership? Chicken before the egg?

Hi David,

Almost every reseller has a relation through a distributor as this is now the preferred way. But you can buy licenses direct from Microsoft if you become a Tier-1 CSP reseller or if you qualify to sell Enterprise Agreements. Selling has aways been tough, but becoming a Tier-1 CSP used to be fairly easy, but the bar is now very high and to be honest you will get close to the same margin through a distributor without having to make big investments.

In the Microsoft ecosystem it is becoming less important who is the transactional partner, the value lies in managing and building solutions so personally I would probably be happy to let someone else transact the licenses but fight hard for being the partner of record that has infleunced the sale and also being recognized as the one that is managing the solution.

In order to build a close relationship with Microsoft it is more about being an innovative partner with proven track-record than transacting the licenses.

Regards, Per

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Influencer

Re: Becoming an official partner question: gain client before partnership? Chicken before the egg?

Hi David,

You do not need to be a Microsoft partner in order to resell licenses or services. The easiest way to become a reseller is to sign up as such with a distributor like TechData, Ingram or Also.

But in order to become listed as a BI partner, you don't need to resell licenses. This is more about you showing that you got the right skillset - and the path towards this is to sign up as a Microsoft Partner on MPN and gain the right Competency for your type of practice. First step is to become Silver and the next step is to become Gold.

Regards, Per

Level 2 Contributor

Thank you for your response, Per.

I'll follow up your tip regards distributors, it might be an option in the short-term.

However, the plan is to become resellers ourselves, and I'm therefore looking to identify the formal route to achieving this.

We already resell licences directly, as partners, for several brands such as SAP, Dell, and others.
We also offer a wide range of services for these brands. Now several of our developers, consultants, and support staff are planning on gaining Power BI and Azure skills and accreditations (and other Microsoft skillsets).

The aim is to start offering our clients a complete set of Power BI services > which includes reselling the licences directly.

So, even if it's a long-road, is there an official route to becoming a reseller?

Influencer

Hi David,

Almost every reseller has a relation through a distributor as this is now the preferred way. But you can buy licenses direct from Microsoft if you become a Tier-1 CSP reseller or if you qualify to sell Enterprise Agreements. Selling has aways been tough, but becoming a Tier-1 CSP used to be fairly easy, but the bar is now very high and to be honest you will get close to the same margin through a distributor without having to make big investments.

In the Microsoft ecosystem it is becoming less important who is the transactional partner, the value lies in managing and building solutions so personally I would probably be happy to let someone else transact the licenses but fight hard for being the partner of record that has infleunced the sale and also being recognized as the one that is managing the solution.

In order to build a close relationship with Microsoft it is more about being an innovative partner with proven track-record than transacting the licenses.

Regards, Per

View solution in original post

Level 2 Contributor

Per, that was incredibly helpful.

You have my sincere thanks.

David