Hero Banner

Feedback & Support Discussions

Provide feedback on your partner experience.

Highlighted
Visitor 1

ASP.NET Core 3.1 hosting and training comments

ASP.NET Core 3.1 is an excellent product BUT you're losing business due to issues surrounding it - hosting and training

- hosting on Azure, there is no way to know what it will cost, scary.  I asked someone who works with startup businesses what his entrepreneurs were paying and he told me to count on $120/month.  High compared to hosting for alternative programming languages / frameworks.

- I called online hosting companies and asked for ASP.NET Core 3.1 hosting, SSL, and MS Sql for one website.  I was told:

* It only runs on Windows servers and all we have is non-Windows servers

* It requires a minimum of 3 meg memory, and sometimes they said a dedicated server, and that will be $120 to $1200, depending on the company.  Very high cost.

* ASP.NET Core 3.1 is not stable, we haven't installed it yet.

Summary: You are losing business for ASP.NET Core 3.1 due to hosting costs, which could be $10 to $20 for other programming languages/frameworks.  Do these hosting companies even have accurate info on ASP.NET Core 3.1 hosting requirements?!

I've been upgrading my skills this last year.  I was one of the first Microsoft Partners and Solution Developers, started by using Windows 3.1 and ASP.NET 1.0.  Here are my complaints about ASP.NET Core 3.1 training:

- Trainers on Pluralsight, Udemy, books, and others are not up to date.  They are patching their old 1.x or 2.x code and calling it 3.x code.  Sad.  They say that "not much has changed".  Wrong.  They need to shift to the new 3.1 code and NOT use the 2.x dependencies and code if at all possible.  Bring them in for extensive training, offer them incentives, review their code and cour, anything to get them learning the new version and develop training for it.

- Modern software development involves Test Driven Development, understanding Patterns, and understanding the underlying Core Framework, using a database - probably more than one kind, reactivity, and multiple screen sizes, accessibility. etc - but NO ONE IS TEACHING THIS.  Your Microsoft Press Code Complete 2 book is excellent but outdated.  If you want to learn these things you have to figure it out and take multiple different courses.  THERE IS NO CLEAR PATH TO QUALITY PROGRAMMING, there is no one course that teaches how to get to a finished quality website that is maintainable - the closest I found that comes to it is Scott Allen's excellent Fundamentals course on Pluralsight, and it's still patched older training, and just touches on the surrounding technologies and concepts.

- Angular, as far as I can tell, is probably on it's way out.  But that is all your trainers are teaching.  When Vue 3 comes out in Quarter 1 2020, it will use less memory, be faster, easier to learn, have full Typescript, AND AUTOMATICALLY SUGGEST HOW TO UPGRADE AND ASK IF IT CAN MAKE THE CHANGE FOR YOU.  Mass exit from Angular to Vue 3.  Keep up with Vue 3 or come out with articles on why programmers should stay with Angular 2.  It looks to me like Vue 3 might replace your whole stack.  Watch out.

- Christian Nagel wrote a superb book on C#7 and .NET Core 2.0 but now there is nothing equivalent to teach programmers what they can do, or best uses.   With ASP.NET Core 3.1 and C# 8 you really made things better - but I don't think this is known yet.  Get the word out by providing more training and books.

- Visual Studio 2019 has been outdone by Jet Brains.  That is the research I am seeing.  VS 2019 is a basic tool to use with Azure.  Give your Visual Studio team more resources so they can catch up, or support Jet Brains better.  You are kind of sitting on the fence and losing because of it. 

- In multiple different technology areas you appear to be supporting and teaching the not-as-good alternative.  You need a corporate mandate on how you are going to support these newer / better technologies.  Maybe even charge your competitors to include them more, support them more, and market them more within your products and training.  Think about your competitors and your response, for Microsoft's future growth.  Things are changing fast and you can't possibly keep up without a clear strategy of inclusion, which I'm still not sufficiently seeing.

- For the entrepreneur, with a low budget, trying to create an online presence or course that is modern and interactive, I'm not seeing a clear path to learn what is needed or to host affordably, you appear to be forcing many to move to competitive platforms and technologies.  

Wishing Microsoft all the best.  Love your new ASP.NET Core 3.1.  Thanks.