Hero Banner

Education

Grow your Education business and strengthen alliances with partners and Microsoft

Visitor 1

TECHSOUP REJECTION

I have been unable to contact anyone at Microsoft so I tried this.  

Microsoft partners with Techsoup.org to provide non-profit organizations, free and discounted software.  Today, while attempting my first purchace through Techsoup, my order was rejected by Microsoft because our 501(c)3 does not "fit" into their chosen group.  The U.S. Government approves us as a non-profit, why doesn't Microsoft.

Dealing with the huge disparity facing women filmmakers in this country, Utah Women in Film and Television works diligently to empower women through education, mentorship and outreach.  This is just another slap in the face for women filmmakers.  Our board members work for no pay and often purchase essential items out of our own pockets.   I would like to know why Microsoft has turned us away.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Influencer

Re: TECHSOUP REJECTION

I have a couple of thoughts here. First off, I want to make it clear that I am not answering this on behalf of Microsoft. I am simply sharing my experience with Tech Soup over the years, first as a system admin for a nonprofit, and later as a tech consultant. 

As I am sure you are aware, there are subdivisions within the 501(c)3 designation. If you fall into one of these buckets, you may not qualify for any of the donated products on Techsoup (not just Microsoft). There are also rules around revenue, etc. 

I have found in the past, that occasionally the qualification questions that you have to click on may not be specific enough for you to accurately self-classify. I have been able to work with the help desk to more accurately describe the mission of the organization I was representing and get approval. 

I would try to leverage the "help" resources at Techsoup. They may be able to help you clarify the reasons you were not approved. In my experience, they are friendly and helpful but it may take them a day or two to respond. 

I hope this helps in some small way.

Robb