Hero Banner

Co-Sell

Connecting qualified startups with Microsoft's global sales team and extensive customer network.

Microsoft

Co-Sell Experiences

Calling all startups in our Microsoft for Startups Program - what have your experiences been with our co-sell program?  For some context, I went through the co-sell program over the past two years with a Canadian fintech startup prior to its acquisition and myself joining Microsoft for Startups.  It was an interesting experience from starting in the program, getting our tech on a solid foundation, publishing in the Azure marketplace, and then working with the financial services field teams to drive commercial deals.  Given a typical Tier 1/2 North American bank deal takes almost 2 years to complete, the fact that we were stamped with Microsoft's startup program and were co-sell ready, we were able to accelerate the deal flow process by more than 6 months.  We took it upon ourselves to quarterback the deals with Microsoft in parallel to running our own sales channels and distribution.  We were able to win a pretty lucrative deal with Microsoft with a Tier 2 North American bank after about 18 months from start to finish and then the flood gates opened. This is not an overnight journey, but the ROI is extremely high, and once you truly become co-sell ready, then a startup can truly extrapolate the long-term value of co-sell from Microsoft.  Trust me, I've gone through it.  Thoughts?

2 REPLIES 2
Visitor 1

Re: Co-Sell Experiences

How do I become co-sell ready? Is there a checklist?

In 2016 when we selected our cloud provider, our technical checklist favored AWS over Azure. However, we had not taken into account the Co-Sell program. This would've most likely shifted over our decision, as it is beginning to do so now, as if the technology for our solution was more or less the same in either cloud, help with sales is only something Microsoft can help with and they know it better than anyone. 

Highlighted
Microsoft

Re: Co-Sell Experiences

Hi Obeco - thanks for your note.  Microsoft for Startups unique differentiator in the market is truly Co-Sell as in helping startups get to a point where we can actively sell into our enterprise client base together to drive commercial deals and revenue for startups.  In terms of how you become co-sell ready, a startup applies into our Microsoft for Startups program online at startups.microsoft.com, you can see all of the benenfits of our porgram including credits, technical support, sales and GTM support and information on co-sell.  Going through the program, ensuring your archteitcure is efficient, and your IP is solid which takes a quarter or two, we then would look to have your startup application published in our Azure marketplace where our enterprise clients can consume your applciation -> after going through our startups programming and acheiving these goals we move to get a startup co-sell ready.  I encourage you to take a look at the link above, we have many startups who are on other clouds, particulary in the B2B space wanting access to our program with notion to drive towards co-sell.  For any further info, please contact us at startups@microsoft.com.  Thanks!